Tuesday, August 7, 2007

I'm freaking hungry!

I'm starving here! Someone send me some food. Now! Oh well... I suppose I could always drag my lazy ass over to the fridge and get something. Or order pizza. That works.

I got the new Savoy album today. I realize that this will mean absolutely nothing to 99.9% of the 2 or so people who may stumble onto my blog, but if I don't talk about all the stuff I buy, watch and listen to, I really don't have a lot to say.

So. Savoy Songbook Vol. 1, released yesterday, is a sort of "best of" type deal containing two CD's. The first disc contains three brand new songs (though Karma Boomerang was released as a single a whole bunch of months ago so it's kinda old news now. Nice tune though.) as well as seven re-recordings of songs from their five studio albums. Some of them add to the originals, some of them lose something. Some lose a lot (specifically, Whalebone. One of my favorite Savoy tracks and it's only something like three years old and really didn't need to be "upgraded"). The second new song, Best Western Beauty, actually sounds pretty great on first listen. It's the type of song that will probably grab me once I've heard it a few more times.

Disc two contains 14 old songs in their original versions. I haven't actually gotten around to listening to this one yet, but since I'm more than familiar with all of Savoy's albums to date I'm sure I know what to expect. From what I understand, though, a couple of the songs are radio edits, which just plain sucks. Especially in the case of Man in the Park, which in my opinion got completely butchered in its radio version. Oh well... it's not like anyone is going to break down my door and pry the original out of my hands or anything.

Hey, where's that damn pizza??

2 comments:

John Sposato said...

Savoy means something to me. They're more than just an a-ha side project.

Ugly Pig said...

Indeed. I love Savoy. One of my favorite bands ever, regardless of their connection to a-ha.